Saturday, May 23, 2020

What is going on with this year's gathering?

Updated Wednesday, July 2 at 9:00 a.m. California time
Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

That's not an easy question to answer.

I beg you to read this entire post and the links before you decide if you still want to go to Idaho.

As part of gathering participants response to COVID-19, there have been conference calls taking place alternating nights (odd number dates) at 6 PM West Coast Time / 9 PM East Coast Time.

Discussions include the unfolding on-the-ground situation, our concerns with damage being done to cultural resources belonging to the Nimiipuu/Nez Perce, and how to create a peaceful resolution.

Dial 425-436-6350  access code 377587#.   This is a toll call if your dialing from a phone that charges by the minute.

Some individuals are moving ahead with holding a gathering and other individuals are strongly encouraging people to refrain from attending due to COVID-19 and cultural concerns raised by the indigenous people.  This gathering is expected to be small.  Probably 500 people total give or take is my guess but I could be wrong.

As best I can tell, the majority of kitchens, camps, and individuals are choosing to Om From Home. Please note that many people who are oming from home do not have any information listed on the link because they have privacy concerns.

Indigenous & Permit Issues

There are Nimiipuu/Nez Perce at the site of the 1982 Gathering west of Council, Idaho called Skunk Cabbage Flats. Additional info is "Near New Meadows, in Boise National Forest. It's rumored to be on a combination of the following quadrangles. Crokked River Point, Peck Mountain, Rush Peak, Goodrich" (roughly 44°45'11.6"N 116°36'03.6"W). The Nimiipuu/Nez Perce plan to set up a kitchen at this location on Thursday, July 2nd and are trying to provide support to get people to move to this location.
  • The Forest Service received an INQUIRY about a permit for this site, and was considering it, but NO ONE followed thru with an actual application.
  • The  Nimiipuu/Nez Perce protested the possibility of a permit and were told that way fewer people would be attending than the hypothetical 5-10,000, so they (the Tribal Gov't people) let it go at that and will not take legal action against the Gathering there
  • The Forest Service also told the Tribal Government that it was going to be more like 2-300 people, not 5000, 10000, 20000 etc., and the Nimiipuu/Nez Perce Tribal Government decided because of that info not to contest the gathering.
  • The Nimiipuu/Nez Perce Tribal Government also asked that the people up there DO NOT dig in the meadows, DO NOT dig any more holes for anything in the meadow because that is a place where they have had sacred herb ritual gathering ceremonies for generations; and that was their prime request: avoid digging any holes in their meadow.
  • None of this addresses what the young 'warriors' of the Nimiipuu /Nez Perce will or won't do; but the 'official' Tribal Govt of the Nimiipuu/Nez Perce has passed along its request, and isn't going to take any further action to block what's happening.

So what is happening?

There are many people calling for micro gatherings in your region. Get 10-20 people together from your local community for a few days over July 4th and hopefully join in the morning of silence and the prayer/meditation for world peace and the healing of the plant. Make sure to include easy access to hand washing and masks/bandanas for close quarters.

There are some virtual gatherings for people who want to stay home but still gather virtually for July 4th. I will try to find the URLs for these and share them here.

Wash your hands!  Wash your hands!  Wash your hands!

How to help those who are choosing to gather in any fashion stay safe

Bring masks to share. Bring lots and lots of hand sanitizer.  Ask people to sanitize their hands frequently. Make many soap and water hand wash stations and bring them to the gathering. Ask people to wash their hands frequently. Make creative signs on social distancing.


Om From Home Movement

While we recognize and highly value our first amendment rights, we, the undersigned individuals, kitchens, and camps, having weighed the benefits and risks feel that, in light of the global Covid-19 pandemic, it would be unsafe to come together for our annual gathering at this time. Out of enormous concern and respect for the health and safety of the individuals who attend Rainbow Gatherings, the people of Idaho, and the local communities, as well as the people and the health care resources that may be impacted by those traveling to and from a Gathering, we agree:

    not to attend any Rainbow Gathering in Idaho this summer, to #OmFromHome, or to find safer ways to pray for peace.

    to send our prayers around the world to those who have lost loved ones and to those who are suffering.

We, the undersigned, invite you to join us in supporting this vision by adding your name to this agreement and by choosing not to gather in large groups at this time.

To see which camps, kitchens, and individuals have signed on to the above statement, Visit the Om From Home website.

Some people had a call with the health department on June 19. I have some notes from that call here.

For other perspectives, read Carla's Two Cents or Plunker's Two Cents.


If you plan on attending a micro-gathering, please, please, please wear masks, practice social distancing, bring your own food and water, camp in household units spread apart from those not in your household, don't share joints or pipes, and do not go into town in the local community. Any built structures should be disinfected frequently.

There are consensuses from spring council available here.

Idaho has a Stages of Reopening plan, which you should read for yourself. According to the plan, after June 11 AND as long as the plan stays on track "Gatherings, both public and private, of more than 50 people, where appropriate physical distancing and precautionary measures are observed can occur."  They also have a document outlining how to handle mass gatherings.

This year we have many people engaging in consensus by foot and opting to not attend for reasons of health and safety for themselves and the surrounding communities. We also have some people opting for consensus by foot and planning on attending what happens in Idaho.

Other Issues

The Nimiipuu/Nez Perce have made a statement opposing any gathering that takes place in their traditional lands in Idaho in 2020 or 2021.

Some people who are often involved in scouting have made a statement.

I will make a few quick points about some logistical issues to holding a gathering in Idaho in 2020 in the hopes of humbling requesting you do not attend.

From my humble perspective, there are two main issues on the table :
  1. Is it safe and healthy for gatherers and Idaho residents for a gathering to happen in Idaho this summer?
  2. If a small gathering happens, what do we do about Vision Council?  Does a group of 100 people decide where we go in 2021, or do we all agree to postpone this year's Idahoish gathering consensus to 2021 even if a small gathering happens in Idaho this summer?
I see those as two separate issues if the collective "we" wants them to be.

Some things to think about.
  • Idaho is very rural and health care facilities are limited outside of the big cities. No surprise there. 
  • There may be no or a very reduced amount of medical staff on site IF a gathering happens in Idaho.
  • How do we handle spring council if we're not together on the land?
  • How do we maintain social distancing and frequent hand washing on the land if a gathering takes place?
Personally I have never cared where we gather. What matters to me is HOW we gather.  I have concerns that people who are currently in Idaho are not practicing appropriate sanitation.  Remember Oregon 2017 when we had a little norovirus that made people vomit and have diarrhea for 24-48 hours?  We couldn't even keep from spreading those germs with all the hugging, hand holding, sharing of joints, etc.  And that was a minor drag. 

I know there is something happening in Idaho. My perspective is that it's safer to stay away but definitely no one with preexisting medical conditions, no older family, no small children should attend.

Would the end of the world come if these few people held vision council and reached a consensus that did not align with the "postponement of the Idaho gathering to 2021" camp?

If a small gathering reached a different consensus for 2021, would we end up with a split gathering in 2021?  It's happened before and we have survived. Just as we will survive this year.

Maybe we should think a bit more hipstorically and remember that once upon a time, no one knew what they were doing and collectively have figured it out, bit by bit.  This blog and other links are all attempting to share our collective wisdom. Find these links here. If you are planning on participating in a micro gathering or a small gathering in Idaho or anywhere else, educate yourself.  Knowledge is power!

If you want to understand people's reasons on all points of the circle so that you can reach an informed decision as a unique individual on this beautiful planet we call home, join in the Conference Calls that take place at 6 PM Pacific time alternating nights and currently happening on even numbered days. Starting in June it will be ODD numbered days. Dial 425-436-6350  access code 377587#.   This is a toll call if you are dialing from a phone that charges by the minute.

Or read the notes  from past calls, that I have posted here.

At this time, I am choosing not to share directions to what is happening in Idaho.

All this being said, I do have concerns about gathering this year and I will not be going because I agree with the Om From Home statement.

I think new questions are on the table:

How do we adapt to new circumstances in a way that encourages the positive evolution of the planet and creates peace and healing among humans?

How do we maintain love and positive dialogue with those whose opinions differ from our own?

How do we balance the needs of the individual with those of the community?
 
How do we walk our talk?



If you want to read the USFS updates from what is happening in Idaho, click here.

32 comments:

  1. 2020 IdaNO, Don't Go, OM at HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. This statement, however, I don't think is entirely fair or accurate:

    "I am hearing people who are dead set against a gathering happening in Idaho 2020, showing a lack of respect for people with other opinions and vice versa. This is the HOW and it ain't going well. All opinions and ideas need to be heard."

    I've listened to others opinions, but lack of respect? Where has this been done? I don't think it's been one side being more disrespectful than the other. I have noticed the conference calls as being mostly respectful, heartfelt, and engaged with thoughts shared from both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idaho mass gathering guidance extends beyond the stage 4 of the Rebound Idaho plan. Any gathering that occurs will be effectively disregarding public health recommendations.

      "Idaho public health experts recommend that organizers (whether groups or individuals) postpone or cancel mass gatherings and public events in any of the following situations:

      -The event will draw audiences or participants from communities, states, or countries that are currently experiencing confirmed substantial community spread of COVID-19 disease. Your local public health district can assist you in making this determination."

      https://rebound.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/guidance-mass-gatherings.pdf

      Delete
  3. The rudeness and disrespect is on Facebook.Disrespect is abundant on social media.Facebook is not real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it rather ironic those who are deriding the folks who chose to gather as being selfish irresponsible and uncaring for doing so and claiming it wouldn’t be rainbow are instead waiting on western culture to produce the vaccine or miracle drug. Rainbow has always been in flow with nature whenever possible so herd immunity would be the responsible thing to do in rainbow culture not expecting Babylon to come through for it. Besides that, the prayer for world peace on the 4th has always been everyone together and the fight has always been with the man for trying to prevent it. Thus the slogan, “Ignore all rumors of cancellation.” Well, you don’t postpone an annual event for a year as that’s a cancellation and semantics doesn’t change that. Those who are calling for Idaho in 2021 are doing so contrary to council consensus and are perverting the process. It may very well be that Nature has brought this about to get folks back to the basics and learn how to do it without all the infrastructure that has diminished rainbow to be more like Babylon. To blame those who will gather with the death of anyone is to take nature out of the picture because it was nature that brought about this disease and nature is the agent that’s ultimately responsible. Herd immunity will ultimately be the final “end all” to “back to normal” whether there’s a vaccine or not as there’s no guarantee there ever will be. That being said, and I’m not advocating for a gathering nor am I in favor of its cancellation, there is yet a Spring Council that normally decides, given the facts on the ground at that time, which site would be most suitable. This being an unusual set of circumstances and I think it’s pretty clear, nature has thrown a curve, if SC decides to cancel the gathering this year and hope there can be a gathering next year then yes Idaho 2021 is a possibility that should be recognized as legit. Remember, no consensus will result in people voting with their feet and I’ll bet if that’s the case nature will run her course. If that happens and there is a gathering (and to me these are the brave ones) then I can only but hope that come time to decide at VC where to gather next year they do the responsible thing and chose Idaho 2021 anywhere but where they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This virus is a lot more like SARS 1 than like influenza. SARS 1 was completely stamped out, and various countries like Viet Nam, New Zeeland, and Australia have shown that this virus can be stamped out. We do need to enforce quarantine for anyone who has been exposed to this virus because until it is stamped out, none fo our elders will be safe. (My mom is 96.)

      Delete
  5. thank you compiling this issue into one interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I finaly feel the spirit of truth concerning the location and information for this year. I was not being open minded.
    The spirit we feel together is real. Rainbow Jah is in charge.
    Thanks for your work. What a great job!! I pray that we dance dance in the spirit together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "" IF a group of less than 100"" assumes a lot, there have been fishing councils w/ less than 30 people that have come to the finale for the words of the Vision Word Package.
    What will be will be, your words, Karin, are an inspiration. I have faith, for all my bluster, and I am certain we will cont.... on-words thru the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainbow drum circles regionally networked in cyberspace (utube)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There seems to be a lot of concern about the Idaho state COVID reopening restrictions still in effect in July. The vision consensus was that if any part of the National Forrest is in Idaho then its fair game. So unless I am mistaken, land in Montana near the Idaho border is being considered. In that event the Governor of Montana would decide,

    ReplyDelete
  10. An ostrich is an animal who believes that “If I can’t see it, it must not be there. To the point, people in the thread have categorically stated that nobody is bringing a kitchen. True major kitchens are not going to show up. I am planning on showing up, I will let you know what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people have denied that there is disrespect between the Home@Om and the Ignore Rumors of Cancellation factions. I am going to the woods. The other day I went to Invite the adult children of a friend who I have driven to two different gatherings far away. This is big house where lots of Rainbows hang out. Folks where in my face screening in my face. Eventually I was told “Get the Fuck Out!” I would say that was disrespectful. This is not the only time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you had to experience that. I hope the beauty of the gathering will bring you joy. Be safe.

      Delete
    2. Don’t feel sorry for me There was a peaceful demonstration that was turning into riot I was just glad that I had A Rainbow House in walking distance After the youngins physically kicked me out of the house I camped in her garden under the stars. It was wonderful After a while this old train hopper came out and wanted to talk about STP family and Youth International Parties celebrations in the city parks back in the 60’s We both go back to Summer of Love In the 90’s He and I used to gather firewood for regionals in a pickup 4X4 belonged to the commune where I lived Those were the days

      Delete
  12. Epilogue the Crone whose house this was is not planning to travel to Idaho for the gathering. The last gathering she attended she camped in Handicamp. She was not in the group that confronted me. She told that group they had no right to throw me out since it was her house. She has co morbid conditions and is elderly and is not going for these reasons. I am encouraging people with children to stay home. Almost every one I know respects my decision. The screamers on both sides are the exception. I am accused of selfishness. I am going because my family needs me there. If I have to I will focalize a front gate. I hope to find a Welcome Home crew to plug in to where I fit best. My name is Osee Love is Real l have been to 21 gatherings in 42 years. I am not going to say I am any more Rainbow than any one else. I invite all Shanta Sena to come in order to create peace at this years gathering. Lovin’ you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will advocate that the prayer circle be replaced with people forming triangles with each side of the triangle being the six feet between the individuals offering their prayer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judge not lest ye be judged

    A hipstory and a cautionary tale

    By a longtime Nic@night camper

    For much of my life I have smoked three packs a day of unfiltered Lucky Strikes Camels and the occasional La Corona whiff cigar and a hookah or a clove cigarette now and then. As a consequence I now have emphysema. No regrets It is well managed with modern medicine. Smoking was the most fun ever I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

    42 years ago I rolled my first cigarette at Nic@nite. I am an urban legend. I am the guy at Nic@nite who has lung cancer except it is really emphysema. I bring a carton of smokes lots of rolling papers a can of Top and a Cigar or two just to get started. My mantra is “Need a cigarette? I got a cigarette. Got a cigarette? I need cigarette.” Anyway I worked with asbestos at a big shipyard maybe it was that. I am really trying to quit smoking I haven’t had a cigarette for over 32 years. So far. I sincerely wish everybody on evil street drugs would quit and switch to tobacco


    The story


    I was walking down main path with my supplies chanting the Nic@nite mantra. I was wearing a fedora the hatband stuffed with factory rolled American Spirits menthol and non menthol Camels Marlboros and other fine brands. No matter how hard I tried I tried I could not give away the ready rolled faster than the family could

    ReplyDelete
  15. donate premium cigarettes

    so this kid comes up to me all decked out complete with decorative can half full of hand rolled cigarettes bunch of papers and all manner of tobacco and says “You have no right to behave in this manner. You are not allowed unless approved by Nic@nite camp. I have not seen to there. Furthermore where is your can? You are scamming the family out of their Cigarettes so you can smoke them yourself. Sham on you!
    Well, first of all I took my backpack off and produced a full can of Top. Then I explained that I don’t bring it out until I have finished giving away all my factory rolled and at this point people were kicking down ready to smoke faster than I could give them away. I also said that I don’t smoke any of them.

    When I first encountered Nic@nite in 1978 it was a hippy road block on the main trail. In Michigan 2002 the kids had already set up on the trail when I arrived I had to show them how to shake down the more fortunate so the less fortunate can enjoy the gathering without having to run to town for smokes. “We Jones so you don’t have to” and You don’t have to be Rockefeller to help a fella! These guys had only been to one gathering and I coached them how to hustle like Robin Hood.

    I invented mobile traveling Nic@nite roll ahead of time instead of sitting still and rolling on the side of the trail. I go to trading circle and shake down the dood with four cans of Bugler to trade so that he donates an entire can to Nic@nite for free. I just have to see this official Nic@nite camp.

    So there right in the middle of main meadow it was surrounded by slabs of bark for privacy. Free food in the woods good music bliss pit an lots of whiskey. So I go up and I says “I worship my creator here in the Cathedral of nature and you are drinking in my church. They replied because it was in a enclosed camp that was OK. So I said no more and sat and enjoyed my self. It really was a joyous campfire music was fantastic

    After a time around dark thirty a man who had drunk too much whiskey was assaulting everyone present and the people behind this bliss rail came out and physically threw him out.

    How about this? I won’t judge you for getting kids drunk in the main meadow and then pushing them into main meadow so everybody else can deal with them If you won’t judge me for giving away Tobacco and accepting donation without permission.

    Instead I will just appreciate the appreciate the considerable effort of love in creating the wonderful space with the best intentions

    To the individual who complained about me. I request that you leave me and every one else in peace and examine yourself

    The moral of this story

    There are no official Nic@nite
    There are no official scouts
    There is no official leader or spokesperson
    If you want to lead set a good example
    People will follow
    Judge not lest ye be judged

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those phone conferences has been a total shit show of violence on occasion and anyone who voices an opinion on gathering is shouted down and met with disrespect. Speaking of being shouted down, there was no mention of mass censorship of several Rainbow Facebook pages. I think that is a very important subject that hasnt even been discussed openly. Lately, there is a rainbow related website that has information on this years gathering at http://2020rainbowgathering.org/ -- Love and light!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have read written summaries of the phone conversations. I have not participated. The sentiment Is we respectfully state that people like me are mentality defective retarded and that no other conclusion is possible for any reason don’t come to Idaho. The only possible reason is that I can’t tell the inner voice of the great spirit from that of my ego talking to me. I don’t consider this phenomenon as disrespect rather it is condescension.

    I will not get a Facebook account. I have heard that posts advocating attending on the land are deleted. It is impossible to find a link to any 2020 Idaho Rainbow information on Google, however DuckDuckGo takes you to a number of sources. Google Karen Zirk Rainbow blog 2020. You get old blogs from other years as well as random urls about other Karens and other rainbow stuff like Masonic women’s auxiliary. Google Idahoish and you are directed to here at least today you are. But first Spellcheck will try to get you to enter “Idaho is”or “Idaho fish”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I google my blog daily to update it. Try using the search term "Karin's Idaho gathering blog" Should come up easy. Every time I do it, this blog is the top result.

      Delete
  18. thanks for the detail...the world is changing but we are the same within...be kind to yourself! love and peace, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. no way would i go everythings getting worse between now and then
    im actualy wishing i could get out of the country while i still can
    too many people think being a threat to life is a right.. and thats scary as the virus

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made a big long post and now let's see if I can get it right again because it got deleted I agree that it is not safe for the family together this year there are too many complications there are not enough experience scouts not enough experience elders not enough support from local tribethe forest service is just tricking us to set us up for failure so they can use it against us in years to come I appreciate each and everyone of you family members which is why I care about your safety it is a state where the locals can carry firearms it is a state does not like marijuana they are just looking to give people tickets to make money for it the forest service and police if you do for some reason decide to go please practice social in small group distancing and wear masks within six feet of each other bring food and water for yourself don't rely on the kitchens pray for world peace on the 4th and clean up as if it was never touched bury the dog s*** fill in the grey water pits and w latrines put everything back plant seeds I Believe by the way the forest service is acting and not practicing safety distance and shaking hands and not wearing masks that they are going to use this against us in the futurelove is the one thing that can and will transcend time and spacewe can all love and pray for world peace and have silence in the morning on the 4th of July from wherever we're at and we are all connected so it will make a difference you don't have to go to the forest and risk other people's lives to do so I love you in my prayers are with you all that don't go in that do go to be safe clean and happy and you have peace love and lightI think I will see you all in Colorado next year after they come up with a vaccine although I am not looking forward to that or sure if I would take it I believe I have had covid-19 and I now have antibodies but I will not risk any of my family by coming please look after the kids and the elders they come first they are the last and the first of the family if we lose them for this gathering not being credible and being a disaster the next generation will not have this to experience I love you all with all my heart I send you much peace love and light and prayers ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏😘😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also I do my best to make sure the largest American rainbow family of living light page is kept to be as it was made for the family by Martin which was for rainbow information and to spread peace love and light and I promise Martin before he died but I would do so until I die I am a rainbow warrior and will always be hope to see you all next year hope to have the 50th in Colorado as The anniversary once again sending Peace Love light and prayers 🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈⭐

    ReplyDelete