Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Statement from Facebook by a member of the Nez Perce Tribe

This message was copied from Facebook without permission of the author at this time as he is on the land and cannot respond. I hope to reach out to him soon and obtain permission. Until then, I have removed his name for privacy concerns. The message is important.

************Begin Message **************

My name is XXXXX and I am a member of the Nez Perce Tribe. I am the one who gather the Nez Perce protectors together to try and stop this event from occuring against the wishes of my elders and my community. There are many sensitive and important resources within our traditional territory that are not found on our reservation itself which is why we must protect the area in our traditional territory as much as possible. We spend thousand of man hours and millions of dollars every year to protect and heal our environment and culture. This gathering is a direct danger to that culture and our identity. We can not survive without our cultural identity. The Nez Perce tribe was misrepresented at spring council and never gave any consent to this gathering like we have in the past in areas not so sensitive. The disrespect has been very damaging to my community, and further more this current pandemic has recently hit my community in a second wave and the entire community could have been exposed. This virus could have the potential to kill off all of the people in my tribe as we are only less than 2 thousand on and around the reservation. We are pleading that anyone planning to come or are on their way to the gathering to reconsider and take into context the real serious issue we are facing here in my community on all fronts. We are asked to bring our people to the site to help mitigate issues but that only further exposes our people to possible virus spread. We are concerned, we are scared, we are angry, but most of all we are hurt by the actions of this group on site and their presence in our country. I pray that we find peaceful resolution and the two communities do not become enemies when all is said and done. May love and peace be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment